OK, you’ve patched and repaired your old asphalt roof. Many times. Stop throwing good money after bad! It’s time to face the fact that your existing roof has come to the end of its useful life. The downside is you need a new roof. The upside is that you have a choice. Replace your old roof with the same old asphalt shingles or do yourself and the environment a favor and install a new metal roof! Some points for you to consider:
- When an asphalt roof is replaced, the old shingles are taken away and dumped as toxic waste. “More than 11 million tons of waste asphalt shingles are generated in the United States every year this resource” according to Paul Ruesch, environmental engineer, U.S. EPA. Although asbestos has not been used in the manufacture of asphalt shingles for over two decades, asbestos is occasionally encountered in older shingles.
- Asphalt shingles contain harmful contaminants such as PAHs. Rainwater that flows off rooftops may also contain toxic elements, such as lead and arsenic.
Read more: Toxicity of Asphalt Roof Shingles
- Metal roofing can be manufactured using all recyclable materials and, in turn, can be 100% recycled.
- You, as a consumer, can save on your heating and cooling costs.
- Metal roofing has a 30-50 year life span, with very minimum maintenance. It can be placed over existing asphalt shingles, eliminating a trip to the landfill.
- Metal roofing also provides safety factors, such as the ability to withstand winds of up to 140 mph. It can also prevent the spreading of fires between buildings.
Let Performance Roofing, Inc. help you make the right choice for the environment and for you – Don’t Settle, Get Metal!